From mid February to begin May
Cut back the leaves to bare branches from mid-February to early May, if necessary.
- From mid February to begin May Once
From mid March to mid April
The camellia sasanqua is a hardy plant, but yearly fertilization will keep it looking healthy. Apply fertilizer in the late spring, and use a well-balanced general garden fertilizer.
- From mid March to mid April Once
From mid May to end October
- Prune to shape the bush and to thin out the middle to improve air flow.
- Prune broken, dead or weak branches and straggling shoots that detract from the shrub's natural compact form. You can also prune off the tips about 6 to 12 inches to help encourage branching and fuller growth.
- Cut unwanted individual branches down to the center of the plant.
- From mid May to end October Each month